Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20017 - 10/10/2000 00:39 OT: "Redemption Song?"
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
This is a bit off topic, but since there seems to be a vast array of musical styles lurking about, I thought I'd try asking here...

I am trying to recreate a compilation tape given to me by an old, close friend about 13 years ago... (ouch.) I have managed to find just about all of them in my own collection, used CD stores and some of those unnamed sharing programs. There is one song, however, I can find no record of... much less the actual track. It is a version of "Redemption Song." The person who gave me the tape claimed it was Bob Geldof, but I can find no record of him ever recording it. (I've checked All-Music, various fan-sites and the big three online CD merchants... nothing.

It is very possible that this is not actually Bob Geldof, but it does sound like him. I don't have a tape player handy, but I recall there was no instrumental accompaniment. Just a male voice singing a cappella... If anyone knows of where I can find this track (album, video?, what ever) I'd appreciate it.

While I'm breaking out of topic... If anyone knows what album I can find the Surfaris doing a studio version of "Tequila" that would help complete the set too...

Thanks...
PS: the spell checker doesn't recognize "Tequila?" Man... does that need fixing.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#20018 - 10/10/2000 01:31 Re: OT: "Redemption Song?" [Re: bootsy]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
If you've heard the song, you should hear it's not Bob Geldof as this is reggae. Bob Marley wrote this one and it can be found on his greatest hits CD ( I don't know the original recording, but I've also got it on another compilation CD )

Frank van Gestel

#20019 - 10/10/2000 12:14 Re: OT: "Redemption Song?" [Re: fvgestel]
bootsy
enthusiast

"it's not Bob Geldof as this is reggae..."

Thanks, but I am aware of this being a Bob Marley song originally. I quite sure this is not the same version as his. (It's also not the Stevie Wonder version... ) Similar, but no guitar (and a different accent!) I was able to find that Bob Geldof did perform "Redemption Song" at the "Conspiracy of Hope" concert at the Meadowlands sports complex in northern New Jersey. This would have been in 1986, about the right time frame. Although the tape is really fuzzy, I don't believe it is a live performance.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#20020 - 10/10/2000 12:36 Re: OT: "Redemption Song?" [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you tried Allmusic.com? I see something like 40 entries for covers of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song". As you said, it might not be Geldof but someone who sounds like him. That song's been covered a lot, and most of those instances are listed there at allmusic.com. Perhaps you might recognize an album title that your friend owned.

#20021 - 10/10/2000 12:50 Re: OT: "Redemption Song?" [Re: bootsy]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
maybe U2 - Live http://www.chez.com/bonovox/vox3n.htm

Frank van Gestel

#20022 - 10/10/2000 13:41 Re: OT: "Redemption Song?" [Re: fvgestel]
bootsy
enthusiast

"Have you tried Allmusic.com?"

Yes, thanks... that's usually the first place I check. I've gone over all those entries and most of them are just reggae collections with Mr. Marley's version.

"maybe U2 - Live"

I just checked with our resident U2 expert here at work. It's not the one... The accent is closer, but it's full of crowd noise and Bono's style is a little off.

My searches show that Mr. Geldof and his BT Rats are strangely missing from the music racks of even the most thorough virtual stores... Odd. All-Music doesn't even have full track listings for their albums. I was never a huge fan, but I was quite fond of this version.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."